It’s Week 15 of my First Book Project, and I’ve taken a step back, reflected on the 20,000 words I’ve written so far (so proud), and evaluated for next steps.
As I mentioned last week, this is usually the time in the cycle when I lose steam and give up, but this time I am armed and ready to rally.
When you are working on a large manuscript, it is so helpful to break it up into manageable scenes. The more that you can break the larger work into digestable pieces, the better.
By using headings in Microsoft Word, I have broken the manuscript into manageable sections.
I also asked my parents to write out a high-level timeline that lists dates for the most important events in their story. Now that I have a timeline, I can add dates to the manuscript, and confirm that I’ve covered the most important events in their story.
After some reflection, I realized that I can’t really move forward until I get more details from my parents. My writing hinges on details, and so far I have been sketching out the story based on what I have heard/written before. But I can’t move forward on a non-fiction manuscript without their help.
So, it’s time for us to do some recorded interviews.
Instead of trying to capture everything in one sitting, I am going to interview them little by little, and then incorporate the details section by section.
I want to ensure that these interviews are recorded and preserved, and plan to do them via Skype, since we aren’t currently in the same city.
So, onward! I’m keeping the momentum alive, thanks to my documentation of the process and my very public accountability tracking.
Thank you for following.
Goals for this week (due by Sunday, August 30th):
© Copyright 2017 Barbara Varanka | All Rights Reserved
Website by Loop Digital